Re: [Condor-devel] condor and a threaded library

Nick LeRoy wrote:
On Tue January 29 2008, Matthew Farrellee wrote:
does anyone know of a current reason why a condor daemon could not be
linked with a library that creates and manages its own threads? if so,
what is it?

Most of Condor isn't thread safe -- we've made no effort to keep the code thread safe (lots of static data, etc). If any of these threads interacts with Condor in any way, the results will likely be bad. Similar to the 2nd commandment: "2 Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee at its end."

However, if the threads are confined to the library's code only?

I have a vague memory that I was told there could be issues in linking, but I do not remember who said it nor what they said.

Honestly, I believe theoretically there should be no problem, but I've been proved wrong by Condor in the past.

Best,

matt