Re: [Condor-devel] Avoiding redundant executables in the SPOOL

Alan,

I've implemented some of this stuff to support signing external files as part of signed ClassAds. We should avoid duplicating this work. In that context, we automatically include the hash of the executable and any input files that get transferred in the ClassAd before signing it. Does it make sense in your context to do this for input files as well?

Although in your problem domain security isn't a goal, in signed ClassAds, it is, so we need to make sure that the hashing algorithm supports more secure options (and more generally, options). This is because it's possible to create two different files that hash to the same value but are valid executables that do different things. (I've also been working on adding support for other integrity methods within CEDAR).

MD5 is broken:
http://www.mscs.dal.ca/~selinger/md5collision/

SHA-1 is getting broken:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/02/cryptanalysis_o.html

I doubt that calculating the hash of an executable would be painful anywhere; it's barely more work on a modern machine than reading the file. Since executables are not generally very large, I wonder if optimizations to avoid hashing would be really necessary.

If we support input files as well, though, this could bring pain. One good option (which you suggest) would be to +specify the checksum in the submit file.

-Ian