[Condor-devel] proposed change: trust root for administrative access

I think it is unexpected by users that, by default, Condor does not allow administrative commands from root on the local computer. Combine that with the fact that several administrative commands lack any error feedback to the user when the command was rejected, and you get plenty of confusion.

I found that it is slightly awkward to change the default in the standard config file that ships with condor. Here is what has to change:

ALLOW_ADMINISTRATOR = \
*/$(CONDOR_HOST) \
root@$(UID_DOMAIN)/$(FULL_HOSTNAME)

# authentication is only OPTIONAL by default, so it doesn't normally happen
SEC_ADMINISTRATOR_AUTHENTICATION = PREFERRED

# Anonymous is not in the list of authentication methods by default, but
# we need it in order to allow remote unauthenticated administration
# from a trusted host.
# This is awkward to add because the default list is platform-dependent and
# cannot be referenced, because it is compiled into Condor but is not available
# for reference here.
# On Unix:
SEC_ADMINISTRATOR_AUTHENTICATION_METHODS = FS,KERBEROS,GSI,ANONYMOUS
SEC_CLIENT_AUTHENTICATION_METHODS = FS,KERBEROS,GSI,ANONYMOUS
# On Windows:
SEC_ADMINISTRATOR_AUTHENTICATION_METHODS = NTSSPI,KERBEROS,GSI,ANONYMOUS
SEC_CLIENT_AUTHENTICATION_METHODS = NTSSPI,KERBEROS,GSI,ANONYMOUS

Can we do better?

I also noticed that when ANONYMOUS is used, the user shows up as CONDOR_ANONYMOUS_USER, which lacks the all important '@' sign necessary for referring to this user name in ALLOW/DENY policy.

I also propose that we change all of the HOSTALLOW_* settings to the new style ALLOW_* in the default config. They are semantically equivalent, and it is just confusing for users that we use the old style but emphasize the new style in the documentation.

--Dan