[Condor-devel] The current state of Condor's CVS repository and releases

A) The 6.9.5 release is about to go out (ideally later tonight, as soon as build/test results for our final release candidate come back green).

B) There's now a V6_9_5-branch, just in case something else comes up and we need to fix it for the release. However, chances are good that branch will never see any commits. You definitely should *NOT* touch that branch without talking to me (the 6.9.5 wrangler).

C) The HEAD of our repository is now in _feature freeze_. If all goes according to plan, 6.9.5 is the last developer release, and the next major release of Condor will be 7.0.0. (Note: we'll ship the final 6.8.7 release early next week, at which point work on the 6.8.x series will be closed, too).

D) We will *not* be creating a V7_0-branch and opening up HEAD for 7.1.x development for at least a week or two, since we're planning some fairly major CVS housekeeping while we've got a good chance to do so. More on this later, but meanwhile *DO NOT COMMIT NEW FEATURES TO HEAD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE*.

E) For the near future, HEAD will only be used for bug fixes, cleanup, and hardening for the 7.0.0 release. This is not just a question of CVS administration, but also one of focus and resources. We want people to be primarily working on getting the next stable release out for the next week or two. That said, here are the rules for what you can commit:

1. Solely bug fixes (that have been code reviewed).
2. If it is not obvious/small, get someone else to sign off on the design/approach. 3. Changes to the build system (e.g. I'll be removing the unstripped- static tarballs from our default builds).
4. Fixes to the manual (always welcome).

F) If you positively must be working on new code, and want to check it in somewhere, you should talk to me about it, and we'll make a branch specifically for your work.

G) Does anyone have any live branches they care about which haven't been merged in? Please contact me ASAP to let me know who you are and what branch(es) you care about.

Thanks,
-Derek