[Condor-devel] The Great Renaming(tm) of "vm" => "slot" now committed to HEAD

hello world,

i just committed the giant patch to our source to completely purge the "vm" and "virtual machine" terminology from condor, except for Xen/VMware VMs, Java VMs, and PVM. ;)

the doc changes are incomplete, but i was tired of maintaining the patch, resolving conflicts, etc, while i was trying to find time to finish the docs among all the other fires i'm fighting right now. my trusty regexp finds 113 more lines of the manual i should visit and edit before i'm completely done. but, at least the code is now in the repository (and therefore, will make it into 6.9.3), and the bulk of the manual changes are in place, too.

a few important points:

1) there's a bunch of backwards compatibility code sprinkled throughout the daemons and tools to deal with the old config settings, classad attributes, command-line args, etc. in other words, this change is fully backwards compatible. however, if you don't want the additional classad attributes, and want to move to the glorious new world order, you can set the following knob:

ALLOW_VM_CRUFT = FALSE

in your config file, and none of the backwards-compatibility code paths will be hit. for 6.9.x and probably 6.10.x, this knob will default to TRUE. for 6.11.x, we'll probably default it to FALSE, but leave it there for people who *really* need to maintain compatibility with older condors. by 7.0 (or whatever comes next), we'll hopefully just prune all the code of these crufty code paths completely and say "7.0.x doesn't talk to 6.8.x, get on with your life already".

2) as is our stated policy, we always assume everything on the same host is running the same version of condor. there are a few places for intra-machine communication that have no ALLOW_VM_CRUFT code paths, and simply won't work if you've got a 6.9.3 daemon talking to an older daemon on the same machine.

3) if anyone commits any changes to HEAD that re-introduce "vm" or "virtual machine" terminology where you really are talking about "slots", either in log messages, variable/function names, classad attributes, etc, you will face my wrath. ;) that also goes for merges from V6_8 -> HEAD, so if you're doing such a merge, please beware.

stay tuned for another update about the completion of the doc changes, hopefully coming soon.

enjoy,
-derek