Re: [Condor-devel] The Great Renaming(tm) of "vm" => "slot" nowcommitted to HEAD

On 5/31/07, Derek Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(again, cc'ing my reply to the list, in case others are wondering the
same thing)

On May 31, 2007, at 7:48 AM, Ian Chesal wrote:

> I should have thought of this when we were talking in April: but do
> you
> absolutley need to prefix stuff with 'slot' in the condor_status
> view? I
> don't see a lot of difference between:
>
> vm1@foo
> slot1@foo
> -and-
> 1@foo
>
> Except 1@foo gets me 4 more characters for my hostname in the default
> view. :)

a) Ian, meet the STARTD_RESOURCE_PREFIX config knob;
STARTD_RESOURCE_PREFIX, meet Ian, one of your new users.

Me too I would think. Though I do my own view of our pool by slot (a
column grouping) and machines (rows)

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/
v6.9.2/3_3Configuration.html#param:StartdResourcePrefix

that said, there's no way to set it to an empty string. :(  so, the
best you could do is:

STARTD_RESOURCE_PREFIX = _
# or whatever single char you most prefer, could be 's' or 'vm', etc...

which yields:
_1@foo

Being able to do an empty string would be rather useful if you aren't
parsing the output - if it isn't a lost of hassle to add I would
include it, what happens if you embed an ascii null character in the
config file. They work fine in condor_status. If not how about "_\b"
which would be 5F08 in hex.

b) you'll be happy to know that part of my commit changed the widths
of the various columns in the default condor_status view.  name now
has 5 more chars, so even with vm => slot, it's still a net gain of 3
more characters of your hostnames. ;)  (opsys lost 1, state lost 1,
activity lost 2, and a trailing space was nuked, too).

Lovely

Cheers

Matt