Re: [Condor-devel] debian support

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 05:48:05PM +0200, guillaume pernot wrote:
> gconv_open.c: In function '__gconv_open':
> gconv_open.c:186: error: invalid lvalue in assignment

> hum, long is the road :(

I remember that error... :(

You might be able to patch the glibc to fix whatever problem it had
to compile under that compiler, but that can be a dangerous road of
having to perform many fixes and being *very* careful you didn't
break anything.

In general, when we port Condor to a specific linux distribution, we
strive to use the compiler which comes with the installation of that
distribution. However, recent evolution for glibcs and compilers have
made that very difficult to do and as a result, we've been having to
use older compilers than we desire for distributions like RHEL3. This
is because it was cheaper in man hours to use an older compiler than it
was to perform a full port.

For the majority of our users, this is ok, since we can link with the
recent compiler on the machine (but in reality things like C++ STL
templates break, however 99% of our users happen not to use the STL).

So, if you want the distribution of Condor to be compilable on the
debian machine, it might be better to just do a clipped port of Condor
(set IS_CLIPPED to YES in the LINUX_DEBIAN.cf config file) instead.
People would still gain all of the functionality of Condor, except the
standard universe. Then, if people wanted the standard universe, they
could download the RHEL3 distribution and use that.

This is of course, not ideal. But it takes so long to perform and
validate full ports of Condor to arbitrary distributions, we ended up
in this scenario.

> i can't work on this until next week. i'll see that then.

Ok.

Thank you.

-pete