From: condor-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:condor-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Matt Hope
Sent: October 2, 2006 11:00 AM
To: condor-devel@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Condor-devel] Request concerning ACT_ON_JOBS : add
numericlimitation

I don't know if anyone else would like this behaviour for it to merit
inclusion in a feature list but I was wondering if actOnJobs could
gain a numeric limitation for it's constraint path.

Essentially I quite often would like to release or hold a number of
jobs based on a constraint but doing no more than X jobs (think
releasing on 40 jobs from a queue of several thousand.

The current solution (condor_q to query the constraint then head the
result is too inefficient.

I appreciate this is quite complex requiring either a new parameter
for rm.C another on the wire and in the method plus sentinels where
not used.* but wonder if it is sufficiently useful to others to merit
consideration.

My current idea for working round this is to cache the id's on my end
taking the hit once to do a full condor_q and just release and hope
they still exist.

Just a thought.
Matt

* or changing constraint to take something like top X. I list this
only for completeness sake - I would never seriously consider this
based on the current code base