[Condor-devel] development moved back to the TRUNK of CVS!!!

it's official, we're BACK ON THE TRUNK!!!!

eric happened to be in todd's office when todd and i were on the phone about some last minute questions. eric asked the interesting question "when did we make the V6_2-branch?". July 6th, 2000. ;) so, 6 years and 20 days later, we're finally back "home" in the trunk. ;) this involved adding 1260 new files to the trunk (only about 560 of those are from condor_tests), and removing 72 files. there were 3 files on the trunk that weren't in V6_7 which i saved. i'll put these lists of files some where (once i figure out a good place) and send a pointer in case anyone's really interested.

so, what does all this mean for you, the condor-team member?

1) i have *NOT* yet created a V6_8-branch off of the trunk. for now, the trunk is acting as the V6_8-branch. this will probably change in the next few days, but there are a few things i'd really like to take care of while everything is all in the same place (since i don't get an opportunity like this very often). ;) if this is a hardship (and you desperately need to start committing code for 6.9.0, please let me know. i hope to have then V6_8-branch of source created and open for checkins in a few days...

2) your existing V6_7 workspaces should either be abandoned or updated to the trunk (via "cvs update -A"). you probably want to make a tarball before you run the "update -A", just to be safe.

3) any branches you've created off of V6_7 that you wish to merge will a) have to wait until V6_8-branch exists and the trunk is open for 6.9.x and b). should probably be merged directly back into the trunk (after review, coordination with me about when to merge, etc, etc). nothing really changes about our HOWTO-merge procedures, except when you check-out your "arena" workspace (to use the existing terminology) you just check-out from the trunk, not a another branch. this is explained if you read the doc carefully, but i just wanted to mention it here while i've got your attention. ;)

4) any existing trunk workspaces should probably be removed. ;) if you're unsure, you can ask, but chances are whatever you were doing relative to the old trunk is obsolete and dead code, now.

5) i've massively updated/reorganized/cleaned up the CVSROOT/modules file. among other things, i've added all the appropriate externals and build-related modules for 6.8.x. so, for example, this now works:

cvs co V6_8_CODE

(note: there's no "-r V6_8-branch" arg in there just yet, see 'a' above). basically, anything that you use to do "V6_7_*" as a cvs module, now has a V6_8_* version, instead (V6_8_CODE, V6_8_ALL, V6_8_BUILD, V6_8_EXT, V6_8_UNIX_CODE, V6_8_NT_CODE, etc).

6) i've moved the nightly build tags to point to the TRUNK (for 6.8.1 candidate builds).

7) reminder: V6_8-branch of doc (the manual) already exists... so, to get the right manual for 6.8.1-specific changes, please use "cvs co - r V6_8-branch doc".

that's all i can think of for now. i'm sure there will be follow-up questions, so feel free to ask if you're confused about anything. also, stay tuned for an announcement about V6_8-branch for the source (and therefore, the trunk being safe for 6.9.0 changes).

thanks!
-derek

p.s. "so, when's the party?" you ask... good question! i've got a break in my class schedule in early september, so i'm considering another trip to UW for some face-time work. perhaps we can organize a "we're back on the trunk" party then... stay tuned. ;)