Re: [Condor-devel] change in how to build condor in 6.8.x and beyond

On Aug 2, 2006, at 12:11 PM, Erik Paulson wrote:

If I want to have a seperate build tree from my src tree, is anything
different?

you still need to run build_init. new_workspace does this for you in your separate build tree.

(or, "do we still need new_workspace, and if we do, could we
put it into CVS as well"?)

i don't understand your question. all new_workspace really does is make the skeleton of the build workspace for you with a handful of symlinks to the provided source tree, then it runs build_init and configure for you. new_workspace already is in cvs (just not in the source tarball itself).

if there's interest in better support in the source tarball itself for symlink build workspaces, we can revisit that. perhaps build_init should take on some of the responsibilities currently in new_workspace. automake has a notion of build workspaces automagically, so converting to automake would basically solve this for us. or, we could make new_workspace more generic and put it directly in src instead of tools/cvs-tools.

-derek