[Gems-users] warm application checkpoint

Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 10:53:47 +0800 (CST)
From: argon_zh <argon_zh@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] warm application checkpoint
Hello,
    I have read the GEMS isca tutorial and some former links on making warmup application checkpoint (https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/gems-users/2006-March/msg00143.shtml, https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/gems-users/2006-October/msg00099.shtml). However, I still have some questions on it.
I attacked the  procedure  from https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/gems-users/2006-March/msg00143.shtml. I post my  questions on it.
1) first run  (Only need Simics to simulation)
  * The Console command: ./BARNES < input-warm *
   write-configuration CHKPT_DIR/barnes-cold-16p.check  (generate cold checkpoint)
   Q1. Do I need to enable magic break at this step?
   Q2. How to decide the size of input-warm?
2) second run  (Need Simics+Ruby)
load "cold" checkpoint generated in the first run,
set up ruby
   *The Console command: ./BARNES < input-warm *

   ruby0.save-caches barnes.caches.gz  (generate warmup cache file)
    write-configuration CHKPT_DIR/barnes-warm-16p.check (generate warm checkpoint)
delete the ruby object in the barnes-warm-16p.check file
  Q3. Do I need to enable magic break at this step?
3) third run (Real simulation)
load barnes-warm-16p.check
load barnes.cache.gz
clear ruby stats
start simulcation
*The Console Commands:./BARNES < input-run > output; magic_call break

Besids, I have a general question. What is the purpose of making a warmup checkpoint? Shall I just run the simulation from the start to the end, eg. only following the third step (wi!
 thout loading cache footprint)?
Thank you in advance!

Best