Re: [Gems-users] Coherence misses

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:52:39 -0400
From: Edward Lee <edwl202@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Coherence misses
Thanks Dan for your reply. I assume you are referring to "Chip Stats" section. I thought about that I was a little confused.

I am using MOSI_SMP_bcast, which means there is only one SLICC controller for L1 and L2 caches. Is this the reason I only see "L1Cache" under Chip Stats? Here is my output showing L1Cache and directory events. I think these are the totals for various other transition options from various cache states but anyways totals are fine for my purpose.

I just want to verify my understanding here as I am not very confident with my interpretation:

I am not sure how to understand whether I used inclusive caches or not but I believe L2 cache is inclusive and since only one controller is present, cache-to-cache transfers only occur between different L2s. And below stats show actually those L2 stats and for coherence misses I should look at "L1Cache" stats not directory stats.

And finally I am thinking of coherence misses as --> (Total of Other_* )
and the percentage of coherence misses as -->(Total of Other_* )  / (Total of all event counts in cache stats)

 --- L1Cache ---
 - Event Counts -
Load  133041
Ifetch  0