[Gems-users] TSO deprecated?

Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 00:21:38 -0600
From: Rakesh Komuravelli <komurav1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] TSO deprecated?
Hi,

There have been multiple detailed discussions on TSO in the past like https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/gems-users/2006-October/msg00005.shtml and https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/gems-users/2006-October/msg00083.shtml. But the comment in rubyconfig.defaults file in the latest GEMS distribution says that TSO is deprecated. Also, this is confirmed at couple of places in the code, like,
1. No multiple requests to the same line are allowed (for e.g., a Read followed by a Write to the same line) as seen in Sequencer::isReady() function.
2. All the current protocol implementations block the processor on a write (Sequencer::writeCallback is called only when the write is complete) and hence no subsequent requests can't be made until the store is complete.

So, is there any strong reason for not supporting TSO anymore? I need to use TSO for my work and any suggestions on getting TSO to work in a simple way would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rakesh