Re: [Gems-users] Does gems (ruby) model the DMA operations now?

Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 13:49:45 +0800
From: Sitos Lin <sitos.lin@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Does gems (ruby) model the DMA operations now?
Hi:
  Thank you for your reply. Maybe I can simplify my question. If there
is a loop, in which a DMA operation fetches data from files to a
predefined array with fixed size, does this loop incur a lot of cache
misses every iteration? If the effect of DMAs is models, the loop
should incur cache misses every iteration, because the data are not
cached in the cache. However, if the effect of DMAs is not models,
since the data of array (of their address) are in the cache, the
memory accesses to these addresses may result in cache hits instead of
cache misses. So, what situation would happen?
Best regards,
  Sitos