Re: [Gems-users] Multi-processor cache statistics

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 02:07:49 -0600
From: Philip Garcia <pcgarcia@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Multi-processor cache statistics
what protocol are you using? In some of the SMP protocols, L1 cache statistics aren't known by Ruby (as L1 requests don't get forwarded to Ruby). In some of the other protocols, the statistics can be lacking. I use MOESI_CMP_directory_m for all my simulations, and when reading back the statistics I get back the following for a 4 processor CMP containing a coprocessor 5th node: total_misses: 44345395 [ 5451569 5242672 5426253 5324446 22900455 ], where the numbers are broken down based on per node statistics. I am not 100% sure if those statistics are in the vanilla version of Ruby or just my own (I've made a number of modifications to it), but often times, I've found the easiest way to get statistics is to add them myself to Ruby, as every simulation run tends to have different needs. For instance, the protocol I use doesn't give me per processor L1 statistics, despite all L1 accesses going to Ruby. Figuring them out tends to be fairly simple though.

Phil