Re: [Gems-users] instruction count in different GEMS protocols?

Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:37:50 -0700
From: Konstantinos Aisopos <kaisopos@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] instruction count in different GEMS protocols?
hi again,

I have a follow up question related to instructions:

When simulating with MOESI_SMP, overall CPI is ~0.5 ( i.e., (number of
cycles*number of cores)/total instructions  ) when simulating any
splash benchmark.  For istance in fft, cycle count is 24072104 and
total instructions (in all cores) are 3083116137, meaning that CPI is
24072104 / (3083116137/64cores) = 0.5. This means that cores (on
average) execute 2 instructions per cycle. Is this possible (I am not
using Opal)?

Also, has ruby visibility on the instruction count variable or is it
in the simics binary? If ruby uses the instruction variable, can
someone give me a pointer in which files I should look for this?

thanks again
-Kostas