Re: [Gems-users] Transactional Memory

Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 13:11:56 -0500
From: Jayaram Bobba <bobba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Transactional Memory
Can you report the debug output corresponding to line 349 in TransactionVersionManager.C
for the processor that is seeing the assertion failure?

LL systems use LazyTransactionVersionManager and not TransactionVersionManager
and so you wouldn't see this assertion failure...

Mishali Naik wrote:
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

I have followed the steps at this link to setup the workload, and I am calling set_transaction_registers().

Also, I am getting this assertion failure only when I configure the experiment for EE, when I run an experiment with LL configuration I don't see this assertion failure.

Jayaram Bobba wrote:
Have you followed the steps indicated here...
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/gems/doc/gems-wiki/moin.cgi/TM_Workload_Setup

Specifically, are you calling set_transaction_registers()?

This should pass the max log size information to the simulator. Check
setLogBase in ruby/log_tm/TransactionVersionManager.C

Jayaram

Mishali Naik wrote:
Hi all,
I would like to run an experiment with Eager Version Management and Eager Conflict Detection. I have been getting this assertion failure:

"simics-common: log_tm/TransactionVersionManager.C:209: bool TransactionVersionManager::addLogEntry(int, int, Vector<uint32>&):
Assertion `m_logSize[thread] < (m_maxLogSize[thread] * 1024)' failed."

I traced through the code and I see that m_maxLogSize variable should get initialized here " m_maxLogSize[thread] = (int) SIMICS_read_register(proc_no, rn_g5); "
But the value for m_maxLogSize is 0 when the assertion fails.

It would be great if someone could point out what am I missing in configuring the experiment? Thanks in advance for your help.

- Mishali