[Gems-users] regarding exceptions in LogTM

Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:03:30 -0400
From: "salil pant" <floydian27@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] regarding exceptions in LogTM
Hi, I have been using the LogTM system in GEMS ( 1.2 ) . I have been working on implementing some extra features for transactional memory, but I keep running into exceptions within transactions that "hang" my system. The processor starts taking a lot of window spill/fill exceptions and then is not able to get out of the transaction.
 Using SIM_get_exception_name I was able to get the type of exception that starts the problem  - fast_data_access_mmu_miss. This seems to be a dtlb miss exception.
I followed some of the techniques in the previous posts , namely warming up the TSB/ TLB by running the benchmark once in SIMICS without RUBY installed or touching the data structure before the transaction. This has not helped me so far.
I guess my question is - Are there any more solutions to avoid getting tlb miss exceptions within transactions ?
 Can we run transactions from benchmark suites like Splash/STAMP , which can be really long and can take tlb exceptions, without crashing ?

Do the later versions of GEMS  have a solution for this ? I have been reading some of the SimicsHypervisor code in the latest versions and that seems to include callbacks to detect tlb misses. Have the callbacks been implemented to tackle this issue ? and is that the only thing needed if I were to use them in my version ?

thanks
salil