Re: [Gems-users] Levelling the Playing Fields Among Different Processor Counts

Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 08:01:09 -0500
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Levelling the Playing Fields Among Different Processor Counts
If you only care about one of the running processes, and you're *absoultely sure* the threads aren't interacting in any way, then you can change Simics's cpu-switch-time to something high, like 10000. That should greatly improve simulator performance.

James Wang wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas how to make an efficient and
accurate simulation of different numbers of threads on Ruby...

What I mean is, I would like to have the results of 1 thread running
on 1 processor be similar to the results that I would obtain from
having 1 thread running on a 32 processors machine, but only using one
of the 32 (binding it).

The obvious solution would be to always use a 32 processor machine,
regardless of the number of threads. But that, as you might know, will
result in a significantly slower simulation. Running 1 thread on 1
processor, 2 threads and 2 processor, without taking the scalability
of our programs into consideration skews the results in favour of the
machines with a lower number of processors due to (as I understand)
the way the interconnection network is simulated.

Is there an easy way of somehow adjusting the 1 processor image to
perform the same as it would assuming it had 32? Or a way to always
use 32 processors while somehow speeding up the simulation to ignore
the ones that aren't being used?

Thanks in advance for any reply. :)

Regards
James