[Gems-users] address profiler

Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 12:01:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Dave Z." <zhu_dave@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] address profiler
Hello All,

I added some magic calls to my benchmarks such that
the magic callbacks start my prefetcher. When I
compare the original benchmark to the ones with magic
calls, there is an increased number of Simics data and
instruction references seen by Simics Driver. I used
the Address Profiler to understand where in memory
Simics tries to access resulting in increased data
references. The data references increase by a factor
of 2. The Address Profiler reported the hot data and
macrodata blocks total_entries_block_address to be the
same. Does this mean that Simics does not access
additional entries but the same ones over and over
again? Why? If so, does Simics try to access the same
location because of the prefetcher not returning any
stall time? Could you please show me some pointers?

Thank you very much,

Dave