[Gems-users] Instructions executed

Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 12:45:40 -0600
From: Vivek Venkatesan <vvenkate@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Instructions executed
Hello All,

I'm having trouble making an accurate comparison between two coherence models both based on MOESI_CMP_directory with Ruby. I am using a 16-core CMP and my initial approach was to run the same benchmark with the two models for a specific number of instructions (c 50000000) and compare the total ruby cycles elapsed. This didn't work because the 2 runs resulted in a different number of total instructions executed.

Another method I tried was to have a magic instruction at the beginning and end of the benchmark so that I can track the total ruby cycles taken to complete the entire benchmark. Then again, the total instructions executed differed (which did not make sense to me at all, especially since both start from the same checkpoint).

So how would I go about making a fair comparison of the two models? Is there any way you can make simics execute a certain number of total instructions or make ruby execute a certain number of total cycles?

Thanks much.

-Vivek