Re: [Gems-users] LxCACHE_TRANSITIONS_PER_RUBY_CYCLE

Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:12:20 -0500
From: Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] LxCACHE_TRANSITIONS_PER_RUBY_CYCLE
Well it determines how many transitions the L1 Controller will process in a cycle. For certain protocols, it can be used to approximate bank contention. However for any protocol that uses recycle, it is pretty much meaningless and should probably be set to a high value.

It is specifically used in L1Cache_Controller::wakeup() in the generated L1Cache_Wakeup.C file.

--Mike

Juyoung Jung wrote:
Dear Gems-Users,

Could anyone explain about what the variable "L1CACHE_TRANSITIONS_PER_RUBY_CYCLE" in ruby/config/rubyconfig.defaults means?
The comment in rubyconfig file says the below:

// Number of transitions each controller state machines can complete per cycle
// i.e. the number of ports to each controller
// L1cache is the sum of the L1I and L1D cache ports

The default value is set to 32 for each type of machines such as L1, L2, and Directory. Shoud I set the exact same number as the defined ports for this variable? I am worrying about this variable's role because I could ran simulation without modifying this variable.
Thank you.

Regards,

Young