Re: [Gems-users] L2 cache banks question

Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 10:25:37 -0600
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] L2 cache banks question
Since you're running 32 cores, I would expect that ocean fits entirely in the L1D caches, unless you've made ocean's working set large or the caches small. If ocean resides in L1s, then the L2 performance isn't very critical.

Ocean's working set (assuming N = matrix dimension):
(N+2)*(N+2)*(sizeof(element))*2 copies
For 66x66 and double-sized elements, this comes out to 69kB. Divided 32 ways thats ~2kB. For 258x258 and double-sized elements, total size is about 1MB. Divided 32 ways ~32kB.

The default L1D size in Ruby is 64kB.

Regards,
Dan

Filipe wrote:
Hi!

I have a question about banks with the MSI_MOSI_CMP_directory and the MOESI_CMP_directory...

I did some tests using 4, 8 and 16 banks with both protocols and an L2 cache with 16MB and 8MB...
The CMP has 32 cores accessing the L2...

For SPLASH2-OCEAN, I got similar results for each protocol... these are the execution times in cycles...

MSI:
110681587 - 16MB - 16 banks
110882613 - 16MB - 4 banks
110007560 - 16MB - 8 banks

112847680 - 8MB - 16 banks
115278293 - 8MB - 8 banks
114196480 - 8MB - 4 banks

MOESI:
91810800 - 16MB - 16 banks
90638080 - 16MB - 8 banks
91811853 - 16 MB - 4 banks

91366667 - 8 MB - 16 banks
90484880 - 8 MB - 8 banks
92219093 - 8 MB - 4 banks

the differences are less then 5% in each protocol... is that correct? why is it so small?
is the number of banks too small for the number of cores?

I would appreciate any kind of help to understand this.

Thank you  very much!

--
Filipe Montefusco Scoton