Re: [Gems-users] question about makePrefetch and makeRequest

Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 12:30:49 -0500
From: "Weihang Jiang" <weihang.jiang@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] question about makePrefetch and makeRequest
Thanks a lot, Luke. If I want to isolate the effect of prefetch, is it safe to just comment these two places?

On 5/30/06, Luke Yen <lyen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Weihang:

makePrefetch() is called by Opal for store permission prefetching as
well as for prefetch instructions. It is called by both store and atomic
instructions for the former as well as prefetch instructions for the latter.

For the store permission prefetching the request is issued as soon as
the address is calculated, but the store operand is not yet ready.
Obviously its effectiveness is limited by the
latency between address calculation and store operand calculation.  Unless
you have a workload that performs a lot of stores it shouldn't make a difference
whether this feature is turned on or off.

The other prefetch case is for SPARC prefetch instructions.  Currently
we treat all prefetch instructions as loads.  In contrast, SPARC defines
other types of prefetching such as TLB entry prefetching and store
prefetching.

Luke