Re: [Gems-users] L1 cache latency

Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 17:54:28 -0500
From: "Mike Marty" <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] L1 cache latency
Title: Message
The L1_RESPONSE_LATENCY, like most of the specified latencies, are specific to an individual protocol.  Adjusting the L1 hit latency is unfortunately not at all straightforward.  By default, he L1 hit latency is always 1 cycle.  This can be changed by turning off "fast path hits", controlled by the REMOVE_SINGLE_CYCLE_DCACHE_FAST_PATH flag.  A fast path hit is where the Ruby sequencer (ruby/sequencer.C) directly checks the permissions in the L1 caches before actually issuing a request to Ruby.  If you turn this off, the L1 hit latency can be controlled by the SEQUENCER_TO_CONTROLLER_LATENCY parameter.

Sorry this is confusing...hopefully we can clean this up in the future.

--Mike