[Gems-users] Question about magic instruction

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:54:30 -0500
From: Liping Xue <lxue@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Question about magic instruction
Hi,
I want to use MAGIC instruction in my simulation. (I use sarek) .At the first time, I just put MAGIC(1) at the beginning of my benchmark, and put MAGIC(2) at the end of benchmark.
But I read some disscussion about MAGIC instruction , Kevin Moore said that

Just a quick followup to Dan's comment. Simics will only break execution on one specific value: (4 << 16). Other arguments can be detected by simics callbacks (see ruby/commands.C), but will not stop the simulation.

--Kevin

Does it mean I need to use MAGIC(4<<16) to replace MAGIC(1) and MAGIC(2) in my benchmark? But if I use Simics without ruby and opal, and I use MAGIC(1) and MAGIC(2) in my benchmark,
it seems that it can stop simulation when they meet the magic instruction.
I am a little confused. MAGIC(4<<16) is the requirement for Simics or Ruby/Opal?

I use the following script file to run my simulation. (I use Simics+Ruby only)

read-configuration ../../checkpoints-u3/sarek-16p.check
magic-break-enable
@conf.con0.input = "mount /host\n";
@conf.con0.input = "cd /host/home/mdl/lxue/prideth/gems/microbenchmarks//splash2_simics/codes/apps/barnes; ./BARNES < input_16p\n";
echo "First magic break point"
@sys.path.append("../../../gen-scripts")
@import mfacet
istc-disable
dstc-disable
instruction-fetch-mode instruction-fetch-trace
load-module ruby
ruby0.setparam g_NUM_PROCESSORS 16
ruby0.setparam g_PROCS_PER_CHIP 16
ruby0.setparam g_NUM_L2_BANKS 32
ruby0.setparam L2_CACHE_ASSOC 4
ruby0.setparam L2_CACHE_NUM_SETS_BITS 16
ruby0.setparam NETWORK_LINK_LATENCY 50
ruby0.init
echo "Second magic break point"
ruby0.dump-short-stats