Re: [Gems-users] Ruby Output parameters

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:18:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: Bradford Beckmann <beckmann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Ruby Output parameters
Daniele,

See below:
> 1)  What do "L2_CACHE_ASSOC" and "cache_associativity" mean?  Are they
> the same?  Do they mean:

The answer is 1b.

>      1b)  Single bank associativity  (that is, given an address and a
> bank, the maximum number of tags to be compared with address-tag) ?

> 2) What does "cache_size_bytes" mean?  Is it single-bank size or total
> L2 cache size?

Yes this is confusing and we need to make this clearer.
"cache_size_bytes" means the single-bank size.  Notice in
ruby/config/RubyConfig.C the line:

L2_CACHE_NUM_SETS_BITS = L2_CACHE_NUM_SETS_BITS - log_int(g_NUM_L2_BANKS_PER_CHIP)

Therefore, the input parameter L2_CACHE_NUM_SETS_BITS specifies the
total L2 cache size and then RubyConfig transforms L2_CACHE_NUM_SETS_BITS
to equal the size of each L2 bank depending on the value of
g_NUM_L2_BANKS_PER_CHIP.

Brad