Re: [Gems-users] Error Running TM Shared-Counter

Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:21:29 -0500
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Error Running TM Shared-Counter
James,

We have seen errors like this in the past when we have accidentally used an incompatible version of glibc. Simics is compiled (by Virtutech) expecting a particular version of glibc (a version older than many common Linux distributions ship with), and when Simics is run with modules built under a newer glibc version, memory corruption can occur due to the version mismatch.

We get around this problem by using gcc 3.4.1 and Simics 2.0.23 or Simics 2.2.19, which seem to play nicely with eachother.

Are you running your simulations on a 32-bit or 64-bit platform?
Can you give the full versions of gcc and Simics?
Have you made any modifications to Ruby?
Please also provide the full list of commands issued to simics (the first command should be read-configuration [something]).

Regards,
Dan Gibson

James Wang wrote:

Hi All:
    I was running the TM Shared Counter microbenchmark for a 100000 operations on 2 processors, when the program hit 54000 operations I got the following error:

*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (fasttop): 0x0b681428 ***
***  Simics getting shaky, switching to 'safe' mode.
***  Simics (main thread) received an abort signal, probably an assertion.
Starting command line. (May have skipped commands in script files.)

And then simics crashs.

I am on Simics 2.2 and using a GEMS 1.2 release, SuSe 10 with gcc 3.4. Thanks in advance.

RegardsJames