Re: [Gems-users] Protocol with Directory Cache

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:08:14 -0600 (CST)
From: Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Protocol with Directory Cache

> > It depends on where the real directroy controller is in your system.  You
> > can easily take an existing directory controller and add a cache to it.
> > You can change the getState() function in the Directory controller to
> > return a different state if the directory entry is cached.  Actions
> > triggered by events to these cached states will use a lower latency.
> > However this approach isn't "on chip" unless your directory/memory
> > controller is on-chip as well.
> >
> > --Mike
> >

> That's what I'm trying to do. But I'm getting problems.
> Can I use the CacheMemory type to model directory cache, or do I have to code my
> own cache type?

Yes, you can use CacheMemory to model any finite-sized cache of any Tag
structure (Entry) you define.  However I believe CacheMemory uses the
BLOCK_SIZE parameter for calculating the index, and this may not work for
you.  Hence you might simply want to copy CacheMemory.h to your own file
and make modifications where appropriate (like mapping to the index)

--Mike