Re: [Gems-users] GEMS Simulator Simulation time

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 13:08:14 -0600
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] GEMS Simulator Simulation time
Hrishikesh,

The performance impact of using a memory timing model (like Ruby) is very significant. The slowdowns you are reporting are not unusual--in some cases running Simics with Ruby can slow simulation very significantly.

The reason for the slowdown is quite complex, and it not accounted for entirely by execution within the timing model. Specifically, Simics itself runs (much) slower when memory timing models are used.

Regards,
Dan Gibson

Hrishikesh Das wrote:

Dear Sirs,
I am a student using GEMS in a Parallel computing architecture course. I am using SIMICS and a SIMICS suse 7.3 image running on a X86 dual processor server. The problem I am facing is that when using Ruby for simulation, the simulation is extremely slow. Ex- a simple simulation of Unixbech, that takes SIMICS about 1 -2 minutes to emulate, takes SIMICS with Ruby about 10+ hours. Is this kind of slowdown natural ? Is there anything I can do to speed things up ? I need to get these results done for my course work, Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Hrishikesh Das.
Graduate Student,
Mississippi State University.