[DynInst_API:] elfutils, elf.h, and dyninst

Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 11:06:08 -0600
From: John Mellor-Crummey <johnmc@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [DynInst_API:] elfutils, elf.h, and dyninst
Dyninst folks,

Below see the advice from Mark Wielaard (elfutils lead) about dyninst and ARM on RHEL6.

--
John Mellor-Crummey

(sent from my phone)

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mark Wielaard <mjw@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: December 29, 2018 at 10:51:20 AM CST
To: John Mellor-Crummey <johnmc@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: woodard@xxxxxxxxxx, "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Issue with elfutils and elf.h

Hi,

On Fri, 2018-12-28 at 21:56 -0600, John Mellor-Crummey wrote:
See the email thread that discusses problems because elfutils doesnât
install elf.h.

elfutils explicitly doesn't install elf.h because it is a simple copy
from glibc and we don't want to conflict with it. The issue seems to be
that the glibc elf.h copy on RHEL6 doesn't support aarch64. Normally
this wouldn't be an issue since none of the aarch64 related constants
from elf.h are needed to use libelf.h or elfutils/libdw.h.

I am not sure what the correct approach is here. RHEL6 simply doesn't
support aarch64. So maybe to simplest approach is to not build aarch64
related code on targets like rhel6 which doesn't have a new enough
glibc?

Cheers,

Mark