Re: [DynInst_API:] Creating ParseAPI graphs to CFGs for externalrepresentations; adding line map information from external sources

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 14:40:00 -0500
From: Xiaozhu Meng <xmeng@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] Creating ParseAPI graphs to CFGs for externalrepresentations; adding line map information from external sources
Hi Keren,

I am sorry for the late response. See my inlined comments.

   //ret_func->_cache_valid = true;

In your case, I don't think you need to maintain _cache_valid, because _cache_valid is used by the Dyninst parser. You should be able to ignore it.
ÂÂ

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ //ret_func->add_block(ret_block);

Right now, there is indeed no easy way to add a block to a function, because Function::add_block is declared as a private member function. Personally, I am fine with changing Function::add_block to a public function. Making it public is consistent with an existing interface Edge::install(), which adds an edge to the source and target block.ÂÂ

      //ret_func->_call_edge_list.insert(ret_edge);

There is no good interface for inserting call edges to a function. But I don't think this information is needed for loop analysis because the loop analysis in ParseAPI just iterate every edge of a basic block and ignore the call edges. If you want to maintain a list of call edges in a function, you can either create a new public interface in parseAPI/h/CFG.h to access _call_edge_list, or you can inherit the ParseAPI::Function class and maintain your own version of call edge list.Â

Considering that you may want to maintain other information about a function, I would recommend inherit the ParseAPI::Function.Â

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ } else {Â // TODO(Keren): Add more edge types

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ret_edge = new Edge(ret_block, ret_target_block, DIRECT);

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ }

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ret_edge->install();

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ edges_.add(*ret_edge);

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ }