[DynInst_API:] RFC: updating module definitions in Dyninst and Symtab

Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 13:58:51 -0500
From: Bill Williams <bill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [DynInst_API:] RFC: updating module definitions in Dyninst and Symtab
For historical reasons, modules at the BPatch and Symtab levels have meant different things when applied to an executable (constituent .o files) and a shared library (one module for the library itself). There's no longer any good reason for this outside of backwards compatibility, and we'd like to make this consistent: for everything where we know the .o file associated with a chunk of the binary, there should be a corresponding module. Anything that isn't in a known, named module goes into DEFAULT_MODULE for that binary, as it does presently (or into a module bearing the binary's filename; input on which way to make things consistent is welcome here).

If this is a change that will break any of your tools, please let us know ASAP. Thanks.

--bw