[DynInst_API:] Perturbation caused by instrumentation

Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 11:43:55 +0800
From: Marc BrÃnink <marc@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [DynInst_API:] Perturbation caused by instrumentation
Dear all,

I just started to look into perturbation caused by instrumentation.
To this end I measure the execution time of a function with and without instrumentation and compare the resulting distributions.

I attached 2 graphs:
a.pdf: execution without any instrumentation
b.pdf: execution with instrumentation

I instrument the entry point of a function and add a call to a different, empty function. The function is called at a single location. I was wondering whether anyone can make a good guess about why there is a plateau at 4e-7 in b.pdf

Setting any of the set* function to non-default values, e.g. switching off delayed parsing, did not change anything. The behaviour is very reproducible.

There might be quite a few things going on here. But maybe someone can make an educated guess and point me at the right direction?

Marc