Re: [DynInst_API:] Tracing from a thread?

Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 15:06:47 -0500
From: Bill Williams <bill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] Tracing from a thread?
On 06/02/2015 02:57 PM, Tony Zhang wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to use DynInst from a different thread within a process?
For example, a program would create multiplepthreads, and one of them (a
master) then attempts to control the execution of all other threads in
the program.

This isn't directly supported (assuming I understand your question), and I know I haven't tested any of the ways that you could in theory try to force this to work. (Self-attach I don't *think* will work, and likewise attaching to the child LWPs individually seems like a bad idea. You could insert instrumentation either statically or dynamically that has the effect of controlling a bunch of worker threads from a master one, but I don't think that's what you're trying to do here.)

Can you share a bit of context on your problem? That may suggest actually-supported ways to achieve what you want.

Thanks
Tony