Re: [DynInst_API:] Do not trace children

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:41:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Matthew LeGendre <legendre1@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] Do not trace children

I think using a callback that detaches on fork would remove that first-time penalty.

Since Dyninst follows forks and execs by default, it's opening and parsing the gcc executable when your application calls system(). Dyninst is caching the results of its open and parse, so the subsequent invocations are happening much faster.

If you start detaching immediately after fork, then Dyninst should never see the exec and will never parse the gcc executable. That said, I'm not sure whether detach will improve the subsequent times. That'll depend on whether Dyninst detaches faster than it handles new process creation (which I've never measured).

As Bill mentioned, if Dyninst knew this fork() would be immediately followed by an exec() it could make some optimizations and you'd probably get close to the 0.03 ~ 0.04 times. Those optimizations could be turned always on with a few small changes inside Dyninst, but the resulting Dyninst would have unsafe behavior on apps that fork() without exec(). I could point you at what to change, but it's getting into unsupported territory.

-Matt