[DynInst_API:] Can dyninst statically recover the whole assembly program from binaries?

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 16:04:01 -0500
From: Shuai Wang <wangshuai901@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [DynInst_API:] Can dyninst statically recover the whole assembly program from binaries?
Hello list,

I am new to Dyninst and I am looking for a tool that can recover the whole assembly program from stripped binaries on Linux platform. Is Dynist able to do that?

Be specific, existing binary disassembly tools, say, IDA-Pro, BAP and even objdump, can produce disassembled instructions and data from stripped binaries. But essentially the disassembled program are not reassemble-able or the reassembled binaries are not semantic equivalent.

I am wondering whether DyninstAPI/InstructionAPI can be used to disassemble stripped binaries and recover the whole original assembly program? Especially, the recovered program should be semantically identical to the compiler produced assembly program (which means it includes all the instructions, data and meta-information), and the recovered program can be directly re-assembled back (No patching!) to produce a semantic equivalent binary.Â

Can Dyninst meet my requirement? If so, could anyone give me some guide on how to do that?
I have read the dyninstAPI manual and notice that it requires user to provide function name in order to instrument statically, does it indicate that dyninstAPI can not handle stripped (COTS) binaries?

I really appreciate if anyone can give me some help, thank you.

Shuai