Re: [DynInst_API:] Cross-Platform Binary Analysis

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 10:28:19 -0500
From: Bill Williams <bill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] Cross-Platform Binary Analysis
On 09/24/2013 07:34 AM, Stefan Stattelmann wrote:
Hi,

I would like to use Dyninst for cross-platform binary analysis, e.g.,
analyzing PowerPC code on a x86 machine. Is this currently supported and
if so, how? From my experiments so far it seems like binaries for a
different CPU architectures are not recognized automatically and thus
cannot be decoded.

Thanks and best regards,
Stefan

Stefan--

The support for this is limited, but if you're looking for binary analysis and not instrumentation, it shouldn't be too hard to get it working. I believe, as a first approximation, that if you build the analysis components (symtab, instructionapi, parseapi, dataflowapi) with your $PLATFORM set to your target architecture, that should give you components that can analyze cross-architecture binaries (but not native ones). (Note: it is likely that there will be some kinks to work out there; if/when you run into trouble, please let us know.)

Improving this support has long been on our TODO list; the right thing is to get rid of any lingering per-architecture conditional compilation and properly abstract the platform-specific bits into classes (with machinery to auto-detect, as you note). This could happen for 9.0 but almost certainly not for 8.2.