Re: [DynInst_API:] Raw file access

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 08:41:34 -0600
From: Andrew Bernat <bernat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] Raw file access
On Feb 26, 2013, at 5:42 AM, E.Robbins <er209@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm using the ParseAPI and I'd like to access the raw bytes of certain blocks/functions, I'm not sure if there is a way to do this with DynInst already?

There is, but it's a little obtuse. Here's some code that gets a raw byte pointer for a ParseAPI::Block:

ParseAPI::Block *block;
 Offset off = block->start();
  const unsigned char *ptr =
    (const unsigned char *) (block->region()->getPtrToInstruction(off));

If there isn't, I was looking for something that can translate the memory addresses of blocks/functions back in to file offsets? I see a lot of code for address translation, but I'm don't think I've found what I'm looking for.

The address translation code is mapping from a virtual offset in a file to an address in memory, taking into account the base address a library was loaded at. So that's not what you want. I believe that the SymtabAPI::Region class has a virtual->physical mapping, but if you use the code above you shouldn't have to deal with that.

Drew

Any pointers would be great.

Thanks,
Ed