Re: [DynInst_API:] Rewriter output file naming question

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:51:15 -0800
From: Josh Stone <jistone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] Rewriter output file naming question
On 11/29/2012 05:35 PM, Josh Stone wrote:
> Well disallowing the same input and output is an easy heuristic [...]

BTW, a colleague pointed out to me that disallowing the same input and
output by *name* is also flawed in the presence of hardlinks.  To be
really sure about the file you're clobbering, you'd need to stat it and
compare the dev/ino pair to the input.

In that scenario, the rename() scheme will leave the new content
disconnected, and any other hardlinked paths with remain with the old
content.  I think that's usually what you want when changing hardlinked
files, but it's worth noting.