Re: [DynInst_API:] BPatch_object

Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:05:16 -0500
From: Andrew Bernat <bernat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] BPatch_object
On Apr 30, 2012, at 6:00 PM, Josh Stone wrote:

What do you mean by "the offset has to tell us where ..."?  Just that
the offset provided has to make sense for one of those locations?  Or
must the caller specify some context along with the offset?

If you need some context, like which PT_LOAD segment, that might be hard
for me to know.  Whatever's executable at that offset, I suppose. :)

On some historic platforms, binaries are split and loaded at multiple base addresses. However, from an offset into the file we can tell which of these base addresses to use, and so there are no ambiguities.

Drew