Re: [DynInst_API:] Improving the dyninst packaging

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 16:40:59 -0400
From: William Cohen <wcohen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] Improving the dyninst packaging
On 04/26/2012 02:14 PM, Matthew LeGendre wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2012, Josh Stone wrote:

>>> I have tried to use the %configure macro in the configure files because it pretty much sets everything that might be needed. However, when doing that with the current spec files causes things to fail during the build.

>>>   Does anyone know the proper way to test for and determine the lib install target? Preferably from autoconf?
>>
>> At least for rpm builds, that's part of the magic in using %configure,
>> which sets all the paths including --libdir=/usr/lib64.
>>
>> For manual builds, I don't think autoconf usually does anything special.
>> So you'll get a default libdir of $prefix/lib if you don't say
>> otherwise, and it's the user's fault if that's wrong.
>
> Thanks.  That helps.

Hi Matt,

There are a number of places in the configure using "/usr/lib".  The rpm %configure macro on Fedora 16 x86_64 ends up being expanded to to following:

./configure --build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu --program-prefix= --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info

It should help if configure used the $libdir variabel passed in by the --libdir option.

>> I believe the external/boost/ was the easy part, but have you also
>> addressed the "dyn_detail::boost" clone?  I spoke a bit with Ray about
>> this at pdweek, and while he explained the ABI issues in the past, he
>> thought it might be ok to excise this one too.
>
> Both the external/boost and dyn_detail::boost parts have been addressed.
>
> -Matt

Are these changes pushed into a git repo and branch that other can pull from?

-Will