Updated Transition Timeline for HTC System Linux Changes; Take Advantage of New HTC Hardware

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 13:57:01 +0000
From: chtc-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Updated Transition Timeline for HTC System Linux Changes; Take Advantage of New HTC Hardware

Greetings CHTC users,

This email is for users of our high throughput computing (HTC) system.

In a previous email (copied below), we announced that our HTC system is undergoing an operating system upgrade, with most of our capacity using CentOS Stream 8 Linux. We planned to change the default Linux version required by jobs to CentOS Stream 8 this Thursday, September 15. However, because users have noticed some impacts to compiling new software, programs, and libraries on this new operating system, we have decided to push back this milestone to Thursday, September 29. This will allow us additional time to ensure minimal impact to user’s jobs upon transitioning to CentOS Stream 8 as the default Linux version on the HTC system. This change has been reflected in our operating system transition page.

HTC Users should test your jobs on servers running CentOS Stream 8 as soon as possible, if you have not already done so. For more information on testing your jobs, see our operating system transition page.

If you have tested your jobs on CentOS 8, we recommend using the job options that allow your jobs to run on servers with either operating system version, as this will maximize the capacity of the HTC system that you can access. As previously announced, the CHTC Infrastructure team has been busy incorporating new hardware into our HTC system and we want all of our HTC users to take advantage of these new resources!

If you have any questions about our operating system transition or hardware refresh, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at chtc@xxxxxxxxxxx.

Best,

Your CHTC Team