Interruption to certain HTC services on Monday, February 18

Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 15:31:44 -0600
From: chtc-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Interruption to certain HTC services on Monday, February 18
Greetings CHTC users,

This message is for users of our high throughput computing (HTC) system; users of only our HPC cluster may disregard.Â

Due to maintenance in one of our server rooms, a number of HTC system servers will be unavailable during the afternoon of Monday, February 18. These include:
  • the high memory servers
  • the Gluster file share and transfer server
  • about half of our execute servers
In order to minimize job interruptions, starting on Friday, February 15, we will be implementing the following restrictions:
  • Gluster-dependent jobs that haven't started by the morning of Feb 15 will not run until after the downtime on Feb 18.
  • Jobs not already specifying "WantFlocking" or "WantGlidein" will experience less throughput because they'll only run on the portion of CHTC servers that are unaffected by maintenance; however, no special action is required for such jobs.
  • (Jobs specifying "WantFlocking" or "WantGlidein" will continue to run as normal, and will be evicted if running on the affected servers when the maintenance window starts.)
  • Any jobs running on the high-memory servers will be evicted if still running when the maintenance window begins on Monday, February 18.
As always, get in touch with us at chtc@xxxxxxxxxxx with any questions and concerns.

Cheers,
Your CHTC team