[Chtc-users] submit-5 down for maintenance January 17-19

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 16:42:27 -0600
From: chtc-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Chtc-users] submit-5 down for maintenance January 17-19
Greetings,

We would like to instate a bi-annual downtime schedule for the CHTC-owned submit servers in our HTC System, and will begin with submit-5.chtc.wisc.edu. Fo this first maintenance time, we will be using the time from Tuesday, January 17 through Thursday, January 19 to perform file system maintenance and to update the Linux kernel.

On the morning of Tuesday, January 17 (next week), submit-5 will be shut down and unavailable for job submissions.ÂUsers with accounts on submit-5 will be affected in the following ways
  • Users will not be able to log in to the server, which means that data will not be accessible and no new jobs can be submitted until we announce that the server is back online. (Data in /squid and /mnt/gluster will also be inaccessible via submit-5 accounts.)
  • Jobs not completed by January 17 will be interrupted, though HTCondor will keep them in the queue and re-run them after the server is back online.
  • All data on submit-5 will be preserved and accessible after the maintenance period, including data in /home. (Data in /squid and /mnt/gluster is not located on the server, but on other external servers, and will also be intact.)
We will send an email to notify users when the server is once again accessible for log in. However, please plan to not use submit-5 from January 17-19, in case our maintenance requires the entire planned duration.

Based upon how the submit-5 maintenance goes, we will likely schedule a similar downtime for submit-3.chtc.wisc.edu in the near future.

As always, please send any questions or concerns to chtc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you,
Your CHTC Team