[Chtc-users] The campus is having chilled water problems and we may need to suddenly turn off machines in B240

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:53:22 -0500
From: Kenneth Hahn <khahn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Chtc-users] The campus is having chilled water problems and we may need to suddenly turn off machines in B240
Hello,

The campus appears to have problems with chilling (see note below). Combined with our current warm temperatures this will cause issues. Our main compute cluster in B240 is running with an incoming water temperature of ~50F (keeping incoming rack air at 70F, which is fine). Since we don't know the rate at which the water may rise in temperature, we may have to turn equipment off quickly.

Consider this email your warning that machines will be turned off.

We will try to keep machines on as long as the cooling is reasonable and then will gradually turn off machines to maintain a reasonable temperature.

Thanks,

-Ken Hahn

Facility Managers-Please distribute widely to staff in your building.

To our campus community:

Last night MG&E experienced a failure with one of their chillers at the West
Campus Co-Cogeneration Facility. In addition, we have another chiller at the
Charter Street Heating Plant currently under repair with unforeseen
complications. These realities combined with the hot and humid weather
conditions have created a serious shortage of chilled water for the campus.

Therefore, we regret to inform you that we must curtail use of chilled water
where possible to ensure adequate supply to the most mission critical
operations of campus. This means not being able to make human comfort a
priority in our chilled water dispatch until we are back to full capacity.

Although buildings are generally cool now, spaces with reduced chilled water
flow will heat up as the day goes on. The following criteria will guide us as
we make decisions this week:

Priority 1:  UW-Hospitals&  Clinics essential operations

Priority 2:  Buildings or rooms that have animals and are 100 percent outside
air units, or involve temperature sensitive experiments and essential server
rooms.

Priority 3:  Buildings or rooms that have sealed windows, high heat
generating equipment, high occupancy fluctuations.

Priority 4:  Buildings or rooms that have operable windows in majority of
rooms for ventilation, and have no experimental activities that would be
affected by high temperatures.

We will be back in touch as soon as possible with more information about cool
zones for students, faculty and staff.

Technicians are working diligently to bring this equipment back on line, but
we are bracing ourselves for an uncomfortable few days.  We are asking for
your understanding and patience and apologize for the impact of this shortage
on your operations and comfort.

Respectfully,

The Physical Plant Department