[AIRG] Barnard PhD Defense

Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 16:13:43 +0000
From: Aubrey Barnard <barnard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AIRG] Barnard PhD Defense
AIRG and research colleagues,

I just wanted to announce to a potentially different audience than
graduates@cs that I'm defending my PhD dissertation tomorrow morning.
Everybody's welcome.

Who: me, my committee, and anybody who wants to come
What: a (hopefully) not too long talk about my research
When: 8:30am, food / drink @ 8:15am, Monday, December 02, 2019
Where: CS 3310
Why: it's been long enough
How: show up, talk, listen, celebrate
Abstract:
-----
Causal Discovery of Adverse Drug Events in Observational Data

Methods for causal discovery from observational data have the potential
to produce insights in any field where one gathers data and seeks to
understand how the world works, from social science to business to
medicine to artificial intelligence. This defense describes such methods
that have been developed for identifying adverse drug events in
electronic health records databases. The methods include both (1) new
analyses of observational studies (the typical statistical /
epidemiological approach) that emphasize hypothesizing adverse events,
and (2) advances in learning the structure of causal models (the formal,
probabilistic approach of Judea Pearl et al.).
-----

Here's the calendar event in case you want iCal:
http://today.wisc.edu/events/view/142758

Let me know if you want to be included in any social notifications but
aren't coming to the defense. (There will also be a proper party for
everybody in David Page's group on December 18.)

Aubrey