Re: [AIRG] Fast concentration for mean estimation, 04/03, CS3310

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 16:53:04 +0000
From: Aubrey Barnard <barnard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AIRG] Fast concentration for mean estimation, 04/03, CS3310
AIRG,

This afternoon Ankit Pensia will be introducing us to estimation for
heavy-tailed distributions, which are important because there are plenty
of things in the world that are not Gaussian. For example, the Cauchy
distribution describes the incidence on a line of rays emitted from a
fixed point, and is so heavy tailed as to not have a mean. The issue of
heavy tails has also been addressed in the popular press, in books such
as "The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable", where the
author espouses the ubiquity of power laws and their distributions
(which have heavier tails than Gaussians).

4pm, CS 3310

Power law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_law
Paper 2: http://dx.doi.org/10.3150/14-BEJ645
Paper 1: https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.2013.2277869 /
https://ieeexplore-ieee-org.ezproxy.library.wisc.edu/document/6576820 /
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/BCL13.pdf

Aubrey

P.S. If you need access to subscription publications (e.g. IEEE) from
off campus, you can append ".ezproxy.library.wisc.edu" to the domain
name in the URL and log in with your NetID. This will give you access to
publications the University subscribes to.
https://www.library.wisc.edu/help/off-campus-access/
https://www.library.wisc.edu/help/off-campus-access/remote-access-bookmarklet/